Banana Muffins

Two of the major qualities of Christ the Spirit has been teaching me lately are patience and genuineness. I am definitely in need of both!
I made some banana muffins this morning to take to less active members. We walked up to their door, knocked, they opened it and I said, "Hi! We are the new sisters in the area. We made some banana bread and wanted to bring it by. (hands the man the banana bread) How are y'all doing?" He responded and introduced us to his kids, then we could have simply said, "Okay, well it was so nice to meet you and we hope you all have a good night!" and walked our merry way. But right before those words were to come out of my mouth the Spirit whispered, "they need to get to know you too". So instead the words that came rolling out of my mouth were, "Well,  I have LOVED banana bread for I don't know how long so when I came on the mission I said, 'there is no way I 'm giving up my chocolate chip banana bread'." Then they both genuinely laughed. "Thanks for giving me an excuse to make it!" "Anytime!"
Those few additional sentences filled me with such joy. Now not only did I know them, but they knew me, Kimball, not just "another missionary". I want to be getting to know and love others my whole life. I also want to allow others to get to know me.

Comments