Temple Open House Training




I found out right before our Temple Open House training that my sweet coach and second mom, Courtney, gave birth to her little boy Drake Micheal. I was filled with such sweet relief and joy. I love Courtney so much. I want to dance with her my entire life. I want to be one of her best friends. I know she is one of mine. I want her to be sealed to her family for eternity. I want her to be with me in the Celestial kinddom. I want her to know how to get back to Father. So many religions teach how to get to Jesus, but we want to go even further than that. We want to return home to Father. I have watered my pillow as I express my love for sweet Courtney. Heaven would not be heaven without her. Truly it would not. My heart aches to see her again and give her the biggest hug, and spin Tay Bay around, and hold her beautiful boy in my arms. Oh! And give her hubby a good firm hand shake :) I love them all so very much.

Today we (sister missionaries in the North Carolina Raleigh Mission) had the incredible opportunity to have a seventy(church leader) and temple department representative walk us through the Apex temple. The temple is the house of the Lord. The group I was in went through with President and Sister Holland as well. The more and more opportunity I have to interact with Apostles, Seventy, President Holland, and local leaders the more I realize how human we all are. God truly is no respecter of persons and I desire to be the same. Too often I see missionaries straighten up, change their language, and put on a good face when President walks in the room. I don't desire to ever be that way. I want to be kind and respectful all of the time. I want others to know me for who I really am: An imperfect and quite frankly wretched soul, who is striving to be better. A person who has to not just lean but embrace the powers of Christ's Atonement every second of every day.

At the beginning of our temple training today Brother Robbins (representative of the Temple Department) said, "This [temple open house] is going to be, for you, a defining moment in your life." The Spirit immediately confirmed that to be true. I didn't begin to realize until the training today what a blessing it truly is to be a part of this. The Seventy reminded us that it is rare for a sister missionary to be a part of a temple open house. This is a major reason that each sister on this mission is here at this time. The Lord needs me to be a part of this temple open house. The Spirit has also been telling me that I have been specifically called to be President and Sister Holland's missionary for a major reason. A line President said to me during my second in person interview is, "You and I are going to do incredible things." Sure, he may say that to a lot of missionaries, I don't know. But I can feel that is true.

Another thing I loved that was said during our training is, "It is your role to win hearts!" I love that! I love winning hearts! Mine is off limits though, Ben already won mine. ;) Shout out to my not so secret admirer. Anyways! I loved that!

Another incredible thing is there was a young women's group going through the temple after us and while our STL's were in the bathroom a leader came in asking if they had any spare dresses. "One of my young women just got done with sports practice and feels so embarrassed to go inside the temple in her practice clothes. I feel so strongly though that she needs to go inside." It so happened that Sister Cobb is needing some new clothes and so our STL's had brought a whole bag of their clothes that they were going to give to her as they are heading home soon. We were planning to grab it from them Sunday night, but the Spirit did not bring it to our remembrance so they brought it all the way to the sister training in Apex. Heavenly Father knew that this young women would need a dress to enter His holy house and have a life changing experience. I testify that Heavenly Father knows us and cares about our confidence and happiness.

The temple open house is going to soften the ground of hearts who otherwise would not learn about the true gospel of Jesus Christ. We as missionaries will then have the opportunity to plant seeds of knowledge. Those seeds will then be watered by the Spirit and grown into a witness that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints contains the full gospel of Jesus Christ. It taught us how to come to Jesus Christ and then through Him return to the literal presence of our Father in heaven.

As we stood in the Celestial room of the Apex/Raleigh temple today I felt washed clean of the world and especially close to Father. My mind was brought to the time when I stood in His presence before coming here. We then began to make our way towards the exit of the Celestial room and I somewhat panicked. I did not want to leave this holy place. My mind was again brought to my pre-existence. Specifically the moment when it was my time to leave Father's presence. I can only imagine how excited I was for the opportunity to come to earth, yet heartbroken to leave the presence of my beloved Father. A scene played out in my mind.
"Father, I don't want to leave thee. It hurts to think of doing so."
"I know, my child, but you need not worry. I will place a veil that will hide the full memory of me for a time. It will make it less painful to leave. And in no time at all we will have a great reunion."
And with that I exited the Celestial room. I have realized in the recent days what Father's purpose truly is, "to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man". He does everything to bless His children. He even placed a veil that would cause us to forget Him so that we could not fully experience the pain of being away from Him. He caused His own children, us, to forget about Him and His incredible sacrifice for us because He loves us; because He wants to eternally bless us. I desire to more fully embrace His eternal perspective.

It was wonderful to spend time with these sweet sisters I am surrounded by. I was able to have a wonderful meal with Sister White (senior sister), Cobb, Starr, and Rowell at the mission home. Which included yummy falafel and homemade oreos. I was able to share laughter and peace with Sister Cobb, Farnsworth and Rowell as we talked about life and listened to beautiful music on our drive home to Jacksonville. I had to take some caffeine pills for my terrible headache and I was suddenly SO full of energy. I love my sisters! I was able to catch up with Sister Denning and get to better know Sister Pettit (Sister D's comp in Pinehurst) at the training as well as at Chick-fil-a after. By the way mom and Ben, Sister Denning says hi! And a special thanks to mom for the Chick-fil-a card you gave Sister Denning for her birthday. She turned to me after paying for her food and said, "your mom just bought me dinner". I know that I will stay in contact with all of my companions, but Sister Lacie Denning is one that will stay a very close contact friend. I love her. I have had the impression again and again that if I ever need to call a woman to be in a leadership position of some kind with me Sister Denning is one I could, even should, absolutely call.
While eating dinner with Sister Denning I asked her what made Tony decide to be baptized with Norman. She said, "Wow! Sister it was crazy! So Norman just said "Hey! What are you guys doing on the 20th? (later was changed to 21st) I'm ready to be baptized". Then it was either that night or a few days later Norman said, "I was trying to sleep last night and something was weighing on me, keeping me from sleep. I got up and went out to the family room and was prompted to talk to Tony. All I really said was, "Tony, you need to be baptized." He then went back to his bed and peacefully fell asleep. That was all Tony needed. He then texted the sisters and said, "I want to be baptized". They asked him in the next lesson who he thought Joseph Smith was. He replied, "Well you know the prophets like Moses and Elias in the bible that experienced incredible miracles? I believe he is just like them. I prayed about it and I have prayed about the Book of Mormon. I believe it is true." My heart is filled as I write this.

6 months ago was when Sister Smith and I knocked on the Day family's door. 3 months ago Tony's wife Amanda and two kids were baptized. 2 months ago Tony and Amanda invited us over to dinner and we taught Tony about the Plan of Salvation as Amanda testified of it's truth. 7 weeks ago Norman was over to their house for dinner and began reading the Book of Mormon. He told us that night that he believed is was divine design that he met us. This is the same man who told Amanda he would never set church in one of our church buildings and couldn't imagine she was being baptized into it. He then began to read the Book of Mormon each morning, during his breaks at lunch, and listen to it on his drives home. He then began to help Tony read it and 6 months later Tony and his best friend Norman are being baptized/confirmed/and receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, attending the temple open house, and  preparing to receive the holy priesthood. God truly is a God of miracles. The work of the Lord is hastening. His gospel is turning bad men to good and good men to better every day. And one day turning the better men to godly. I testify that this is the Lord's work, His full gospel has been restored, and He is at the head of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We will always have a living prophet on the earth until His coming. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.


Comments