Homecoming Talk Ideas

Power of listening. Listening to understand vs. Listening to reply. <--my mom sent me this quote about 6 months into my mission. reminded me of something else that a teacher told me during my time at the missionary training center. Teaching Darrell on porch, Spirit very strong, then Adam (perfect example of someone who listened to reply) popped out from behind the screen door. "If Ruth never got married again why did the latter-day Saints remarry into polygamous families?" I turned to my companion as if to say, "did I miss something because that was random?" We replied, "What's your name?" "Adam" 

"Hi Adam, well we're glad you could join us. To answer your question Adam Heavenly Father or God is a God of patterns. And throughout history he has called a few of his people to live in bigger families for righteous reasons. One of them being so that he can build up the kingdom of his righteous people on the earth. Another reason being that their were many single or widowed women who needed someone to support them and their family in a time when it was much more difficult for women to fully provide for their families. In all it was to bless His children."
"Well then why didn't Ruth get remarried? She didn't marry into a polygamous family." First of all that question made no sense to me. I did not understand what Adam was getting to. Then Darrell sweet quiet voice said, "Adam, God asked people in the bible to practice polygamy for some of the same reasons. Why wouldn't He again if the conditions were right?"
Silence. Then Adam said again, "Well why did they practice polygamy?" I turned my companion again as if to say, "did we not already answer that?" Sister Farnsworth, my companion at the time, and I then testified--and I want you to think of what one of your stumbling blocks or questions is in your faith and imagine that a missionary or someone you love is saying this to you. Insert your own name, "Adam, I can tell you all about what I have learned and you could or could not believe me. But I want you to have a better answer than that. I want you to have an answer from the source of all truth, your Heavenly Father. The crowning event in the Book of Mormon is when the resurrected Jesus Christ comes to visit and minister to God's children in Ancient America. One of the first things he does is invite the people to literally come unto Him. "And it came to pass that the Lord spake unto them saying: Arise and come forth unto me, that ye ay thrust your hands into my side, and also that ye may feel the prints of the nails in my hands and in my feet, that ye may know that I am the God of Israel, and the God of the whole earth, and have been slain for the sins of the world." and listen to how they went forth. "And it came to pass that the multitude went forth, and thrust their hands into his side, and did feel the prints of the nails in his hands and in his feet; and this they did do, going forth one by one until they had all gone forth, and did see with their eyes and did feel with their hands, and did know of a surety and did bear record, that it was he, of whom it was written by the prophets, that should come". Jesus Christ ministered to them one by one. Our Heavenly Father also desires to have that personal relationship with you. Bring your concerns to Him, one on one, as you study the words of ancient and modern prophets and I promise you will receive an answer. Not just an answer of logic or sense from a friend of missionary you ask, but an answer from an Eternal friend and Father, your Heavenly Father. And I promise that if you do this you will come away from the experience and say as the Nephites in Ancient America, I do know of a surety. For after the Nephites had experienced this one on one interaction, "they did cry out with one accord saying: Hosanna! Blessed be the name of the Most High God!" My brothers and sisters you also can receive this one on one relationship with your Savior, Jesus Christ and your Heavenly Father. Your collections of beliefs of ideas of them can become real; can become a relationship, your greatest friendship, your greatest source of power.

missionaries often share all of their stories of success when truly it is all God's success. I sometimes say to myself as Aaron did to his Brother Ammon, "[Kimball] I fear that thy joy doth carry thee away unto boasting." and then my heart echo's the response of Ammon, "I do not boast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom...Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak... but behold, my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God...for in his strength I can do all things...Now if this is boasting, even so will I boast; for this is my life and my light, my joy and my salvation, and my redemption from everlasting wo...yea, I say, blessed be the name of my God, who has been mindful of us...Now my brethren [and sisters] we see that God is mindful of every people whatsoever land they may be in...Now this is my joy, and my great thanksgiving; yea, and I will give thanks unto my God forever." Alma 26:10, 11, 12, 36, 37. End there or add further testimony.  Bear fervent, simple, pure testimony that Jesus Christ lives, He is our Savior. God is our loving Heavenly Father and He wants us to return home to Him. I pray that we will each choose to repent, choose to change, make His will and plan your plan. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Comments