Testimony/Power of the One

I want to share an experience I had my first week in Jacksonville. We serve in a ward or congregation with a pair of male missionaries (elders). We got to church and saw that the elders had a young women with them who is wanting to learn more about the church. I went over and introduced myself and she said her name was Makayla.
Later as church was about to begin the elders were looking a bit awkward and I felt like I should invite Makayla to sit with us. She gladly accepted and we became fast friends. As we waited for the meeting to begin we talked about the things she loved that she was further learning about Jesus Christ and His gospel. She particularly said she loves the Book of Mormon. The meeting started and we reverently sat, exchanging a few words here and there when she had a question.
Well, it so happened that Makayla came on fast Sunday. The one Sunday a month where members of the church will fast, or abstain from food and water for 2 meals, and then give a fast offering. A fast offering is money that a member will give to help the poor and needy in their own area as well as around the world, usually the amount that they would have spent on the two meals they did not have. Though many members give even more generously. Along with a fast the members are given the opportunity to stand and share their testimony or witness of Jesus Christ during the first Sunday meeting.
When Heavenly Father needs me to share my testimony during one of these Sunday meetings He prompts me to do so. Usually in this situation I will feel a sort of pressure in my chest and some anxiousness if I need to share my testimony, but this time felt different. Instead it felt as if the Spirit was gently nudging me to stand up and a felt very relaxed. I still could recognize that it was the Spirit though so I went and shared a 30 second testimony; not feeling prompted to share anything profound, but my simple testimony that Jesus Christ is our Savior and the Book of Mormon is a witness or testimony of that. I sat down and Mikayla looked at me very contemplative. I wondered if I had said something that confused her. She then whispered, "Okay", stood up, and walked right up to the podium, in front of that entire 100+ congregation. I was quite frankly shocked and filled with joy to see her up there. She shared what an incredible experience it has been to be learning more about Jesus Christ and His teachings from the missionaries. She said, "it has already changed my life". She shared that she had gained her own witness that the Book of Mormon is the word of God and Joseph Smith one of His prophets. She then looked at me as if not knowing how to end. I mouthed, "in the name" and she continued, "name of Jesus Christ amen".
There was so much power in her testimony and one could feel that it had affected many throughout that audience.
We exchanged smiles as Makayla sat down again. As we sat there through the rest of the meeting, and through these following weeks, the Spirit has brought that memory to my mind again and again. As I have pondered on it the Spirit has been teaching me of some truths which I hope to remember my whole life.
First is that the Spirit speaks to us in different ways at different times throughout our lives. There is not one way that we feel the Spirit so we need to study all the ways the Spirit speaks to people. We want to recognize the variety of ways He speaks.
Second: Sometimes God prompts one person to have the courage to stand so that it will prompt one other. And then that other will prompt and inspire many. I felt the Spirit confirm to me that there was a select few who really needed my testimony, including Makayla. Then Makayla's testimony was able to affect many many more.
Does that in any way belittle or demean the worth of my testimony? No! Not in one single way. Rather it is a witness of the power of the one. We truly do not know the power (Eyring quote that mom sent). You are powerful in the Lords hands. Allow Him to work miracles in you and then through you.

Comments