The Bad Mother Of The Year Award

The Only Reason I am even posting this is for memories sake, so please go easy on me.

Last week I had put Taylor down for a nap and laid down on the bed with Grace to try to get her to go to sleep.  Well, I dozed off  for 10 minutes, woke up, and Grace was gone.  I wasn't worried because she had never left the house before, and began the search.  After repeatedly getting no answer to my calls, I checked the backyard and started searching in case she had fallen asleep somewhere in the house.  Ten minutes later I still could not find her and began to freak out.  I called the neighbor whose kids were outside playing, thinking maybe she had heard them and gone to play (although they live across the busy road). Nope, but she said that she would walk the neighborhood.  I finally called Garrett, and told him that Grace was missing.  He came right home, along with Grandma and Grandpa Wastlund.  Still No Grace. I am hysterical now and after walking to the bus stop and not finding her am ready to call the police. 5 minutes later the neighbor comes walking through the yard with Grace in hand.  She had tried to find her way to the park alone. I completely broke down crying, scaring Grace enough that maybe she won't run off again.

Okay, this one is even worse

Yesterday, I answered the door and a young man said "Is that your little girl in the road?" My heart just sank and I ran out the door and saw Taylor standing by the side of the road at the edge of our driveway.  Jaden, Kody and his friends had come running in the back door and left it open.  Taylor saw her chance and took off (of course the gate had been left open also).  Thank Heavens the car full of teenagers had been watching and had the sense to stop and help her.

Talking to Garrett later I realized that all of our kids have gotten out of the house at one time or another, but the big difference now is that we live on a busy road instead of a circle.  You take your eye off of them for more than 5 minutes and they can get killed not just go missing.  And why the heck do things have to come in pairs?

On a funny note....but still added to my wariness lately

I ran with the boys to Walmart and Left Kimball babysitting the little girls.  She was cooking a pizza and dropped it down onto the burner.  She couldn't get it out and got scared and called the neighbor (the same one of course)  to come help her.  I swear they probably think we are the worst parents ever!

Comments

What a brave woman you are. I never write these sorts of things down, I just try to forget them. Just remember that you are a fabulous mom! It just is going to take some adjusting to living on a busy street because your kids are very busy! Hang in there! They just grow up and then it gets worse! :)
Oliver Family said…
Just remember Amber...Dad ran over Scott. Enough Said. :) You're amazing-hang in there.
Breckan said…
Mommy's worst nightmares! I'm so sorry. You are certainly not a bad mother!