AMANDA, JASON, AND BASLEY DAY'S BAPTISM


Amanda, Jason, and Basley Day were baptized and confirmed today. I first met The Day Family on the 16th of April 2019. What an incredible family! Sister Denning and I got to the church at 9:45 a.m. to begin filling the font, putting out the cute table with a program and note book (thanks for teaching me the ways of event planning mom. The little details make a difference). We found a cute little black book in the apartment for people to leave notes for Amanda, Jason, and Basley in and I know that they all just loved it. We also found a nice copy of the Family: A Proclamation to the World and put it in a pretty frame for Amanda to hang in her home. I'm realizing how much I am like my mom in the way I love to plan and organize things. Being on a mission is only making me more like that as I am organizing lessons tailored to the needs of individuals and families and creative events on the daily.
The Day Family arrived at 10:15 and I got to dutch braid Amanda and Basley's hair (the best way to start the day)! Meanwhile, the font was almost full and still freezing cold. The ward was supposed to fill it, nonetheless there we were: 2 sister missionaries who had never filled up a font before and knew nothing about turning on the water heater. We warned Amanda that it may be swimming pool temperature. :) Mission lead Bacon came though and saved the Day(s) (EmmaLou would appreciate my recent punniness). Amanda's parents came as well as the Arroyo, M&M Hanks, Eberly, Coffin, Hansen, Alder, Lykins, and Woodhouse family came. Along with Bishop and Sister Winkley, Rachel and Brother Gross (her dad). It was quite the turnout and we even pulled off a group picture.
Sister Bacon played some beautiful prelude music and Bishop Winkley conducted. We sang I am a Child of God for the opening song (led by Sister Mandy hanks) and Sister Shannon Coffin gave the opening prayer. Brother Coffin gave a wonderful testimony / talk on baptism. He gave the analogy the in this life we are standing on one side of a river and Heavenly Father is standing on the other side. The only way for us to cross that river is by bridge or boat. Our Savior is that bridge or boat. It is through Him that we are able to return to our Heavenly Father. Brother Coffin also explained so well that the Sacrament is so important because it is like getting baptized again. I think that really rang true with Amanda. She didn't know if she would be able to make it to church tomorrow, but said to me after that she was going to try to at least make it to the first hour (Sacrament Meeting). 
Sister Denning, Rachel, and I then sang "His Name" accompanied by Sister Bacon and then Sister Mandy Hanks spoke on the Holy Ghost and shared a story of how after receiving the Holy Ghost her son was able to better discern between truth and error. We then moved to the baptismal font. 
Amanda wanted Sister Denning and I to be back there with her. Right before they began Amanda leaned over to me and said, "I forgot the towels!" I assured her it was fine we would go grab some, while in my head thinking, "They might have to use kitchen towels".  Basley asked to be baptized first by Keagan Lykins. Jason was then baptized by Spencer Lykins. Then Amanda was baptized by Preston Lykins. I could see how excited she was. 
I was filled with feelings of joy and gratitude as I watched Amanda walk into the water. There is no greater joy than what comes from helping those you love. In that moment I fervently thanked Heavenly Father for the opportunity to be one of His helping hands guiding His children to the path that leads them home to Him. 
Sister Denning and I then went on the search for towels as Amanda just laughed. We first grabbed Sister Wendy Hansen who has known Amanda since she was 15. She had tears in her eyes after having seen Amanda and her kids baptized and was so happy that we asked her to go help Amanda and Basley. We then ran to the kitchen and found rags and dish towels (yes, Amanda, Basley, Jason, and the Lykins boys had to dry off with rags). It was a hoot! 
While they were changing Sister Denning and I turned on a slideshow for everyone else to watch which included a father's day video, come unto Christ music video, and baptism chidren's video. The videos were perfect because it ended right as Brother Lykins (priesthood holder confirming) walked in from work. Then all 3 of them were confirmed and Amanda was absolutely glowing the entire rest of the time! She shared her testimony at the end which definitely brought some tears to my eyes. She is going to type up her testimony to share with me. 
After we all got a group picture and had some refreshments. It was so wonderful to sit and laugh with Amanda, oh how I love her and her family! As Amanda, Sister Denning, and I were finishing up the baptismal record Amanda said, "Sisters guess what?! Spencer (her 7 year old) said 'I'm going to be baptized next year when I'm 8'. He then turned to Tony (his dad) and asked, 'Dad, will you get baptized with me?'. Tony's jaw just dropped. Were gonna get him sisters!" Amanda is so excited for her husband to one day decide to be baptized so that they can be sealed in the temple. 
How grateful I am for all that God has blessed me with to get to this point in my life. Because of the example of righteous parents and their continual love and support, I am able to be on a mission to serve many of God's children. I want to make my earthly and Heavenly parents proud.

Amanda Day's Testimony @ Baptism and Confirmation of Amanda, Jason, and Basley Day: Saturday 15 June 2019


Good Afternoon,
       
        I was asked to give my testimony today but first I wanted to thank everyone for spending their Saturday supporting my two kids and myself in our decision to be baptized. It means a lot to us.
        I know God is real and that we all have a purpose on earth. I know God has sent many prophets to teach us along the way to help guide us back home to him.
        I also feel that God made each of us so different because he wanted us to also help guide and teach his word and the 10 commandments and to give support to the ones that need it.
        For example, sometimes while I'm sitting in the long car line waiting on my 3 oldest kids to get in the car from their long day at school. I sit and think about the little blessings because not every blessing is a big one but still should be noticed.
        Some little blessings are having money to feed your kids or the clothes on your back or even a roof over your head.
        Sometimes I feel that the world is falling or it hurts to breathe because something isn't going right. I think to myself "It could be worse and God will not put you through something you can't handle". However, I do feel that everything has a reason to why it's happening even if it is to open yours or someone else's eyes.
        I've also encountered some really big blessings that God stayed by my side through. He allowed me to make it through the battle of Acute Leaukimia and allowed me to have 6 (7th on the way), beautiful kids. But my life changed in a moment. It started with my brother. He was in a motorcycle accident and was in the ICU...for 6 hours he was known as John Doe because he was in really bad shape. I've broken down because of the fear of losing a dear one but in the end, we've had to move on in one way or another and count those blessings.
        For instance...the first day when I met the missionaries it was kind of funny the feeling I got...I went outside and I had seen both of them. I came running inside almost as if I knew I was going to unwrap a Christmas gift. I felt like a little kid at Christmas time. I told my kids and husband to get ready because we were about to have company.
        I don't usually let nobody in but something made me open the door and greet them like I've always known them. I introduced everyone and just started to have a good open conversation.
        So this was a blessing in itself. I just didn't know it until later.
        I started praying again in the past 3 months with the help from the 3 missionaries (Sister Smith, Sister Wastlund, and Sister Denning). I really don't know why I had every really stopped praying...There was many blessing in front of me. But I felt that God knew everyting and He knew what my heart desired and what everyone needed...He never left me.
        I'm pretty sure we've all encountered these moments, even the little ones...that we are recieving blessings. We've all encountered the work of God. But I wanted to let everyone know I really appreciate your support today.
        It's been a really long time since I've stood at the front of any church...this day is going to be one for the books--to always remember.
        I've went from praying to not praying to praying again. I am very blessed to have a supportive group of individuals. Thank you for putting everything together. You didn't have to, but you did. I could keep going but everyone I think is ready to head home and enjoy your Saturday. I hope everyone has a blessed rest of your Saturday and safe travels home. In Jesus name, amen.

These pictures include our Jimmy John's trip on P-day, Our clothes switch day, our ugly crying one evening (I don't remember why, but something was wrong with Sister Denning's fam or something. And it is a tradition for her to send an ugly picture of her crying to her mom), doing Sister Denning's hair, bringing banana bread to people, and eating our yummy leftover pizza from going to Brixx Wood Fired Pizza with Marva Kirk.

Day Baptism: So Many of the ward members came to support them as well as some family members.

Bishop Brinkerhoff, who sent Kimball off on her mission was in North Carolina with his family and made the extra 3 hour drive to see Kimball.  She said when she saw Bailey it was like out of a movie.  They ran to each other with tears in their eyes.



"Kimball Wrote this, and I Surrounded it with pictures of Christ and sent it to her.  She loved it!" - Mom 
I ended up giving this to lots of people during my mission. It meant so much to people.


Inspiration from the Sunshine Box mom sent


Comments