The mysterious voice in the dark

We were only into the first mile of our 12 mile run this morning when this conversation commenced between my running partner SuLynn and I. Remember we are in the middle of nowhere and it is dark at 5 a.m.

her: Did you hear that?
me: It sounded like a horn.
1 minute later...
her: Do you hear that?! (she looks up at the mountain)
me: Maybe it's a cow.
her: It's not a cow!
30 seconds later...
her: Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!
she grabs me by the arm and we sprint to the other side of the road.
me: What's going on!?!?
her: Someone just said hello to me!
we are sprinting as fast as we can because we can still hear him talking. Just then I hear someone say hello and we both think we are being chased.
me: I don't see anyone
We are still booking it. 30 seconds later...
her: It's your phone!!!! (she wears a pack around her waist that we carry my phone in)
me: It's a flip phone it can't be calling anyone it's not open.
We slow down still nervous to stop running.
30 seconds later...
her: It's your phone.
We stop, pull out the phone, and sure enough it was calling my parents. It was on speaker and calling them over and over. Don't ask me how. My dad had answered hence the mysterious male voice. As our heart rates went back to normal I called home and apologized for the 5 a.m. wake up call and for making them worry.

30 seconds later...
her: turn of your stupid phone.

A scary experience, but we know we will look back on this and laugh.

Comments

Are you sure the 5 a.m. running in the dark is such a great idea!????? I was terrified just reading this post! Maybe you should enlist a man to run with you guys in the mornings! So glad it wasn't something serious.....
The Millers said…
Really funny! Well except for your dad having to get the phone at five in the morning!
Oliver Family said…
Sorry to say this since it scared you so bad-but I was busting up when I read this. I could imagine the whole thing in my head. And it sounds like something I would do :)
That would be enough right there to stop me from running that early in the morning. Actually, I'm pretty sure I will never in my life be motivated to be up that early...ever! :)
Brenda said…
That is funny to read now knowing you are safe! Might I suggest carrying your phone where you can get to it fast in case someone is chasing you? Or maybe running just after sun rise!