Hinckley is Diagnosed with Diabetes

March 9, 2017 our lives changed forever. I had plans to take my grandma to the relief society birthday dinner, but had asked Garrett to take Hinckley to the night walk in at our pediatric office.  I just had a feeling it couldn't wait. Hinckley had been acting really strange for a few months.  Losing weight, eating and drinking constantly, very irritable. She had also developed a rash on her bum.   Half way through dinner I got a call from Garrett telling me that they were rushing Hinckley to the E.R. They had tested her for diabetes, and their blood sugar meter only went to 600, and it had hit that.  I asked another relief society sister to take my grandma home and rushed to the hospital.  Her blood sugar was 795, and she had gone into ketosis. Her cells had been starving for about 3 months.  They decided her numbers were low enough that they didn't need to fly her to Primary Children's Hospital and she was taken by ambulance to the Children's unit at the other Hospital in St. George.  They were all ready for her, and had a doll and homemade blanket on her bed to make her feel more at home.  The next 3 days at the children's unit were rough.  Hinckley did not understand why she was suddenly having to be poked and given shots all day long and we were forced to hold her down as she screamed.  It was so scary having to administer shots, not knowing what we were doing. We met with doctors and diabetic counselors, and then after 3 days we were sent home knowing her life was in our hands. That first week home was one of the hardest I have lived.  I could not eat, could not sleep, and worried constantly because her numbers were not going down.  I was on the phone every day with primary children's hospital trying to correct her carb to insulin ratios. Hinckley's bed was moved to our room so we could check her in the night and make sure her blood sugar wasn't too low.  I was constantly worried about her slipping into a coma.  By the end of the week though Hinckley was poking her own finger, and was a champ at getting her shots.  We were overwhelmed by the love and support we were given.  Numerous friends, family and members of the ward came to visit baring gifts, and good advice.  I was particularly overwhelmed the first day home when a friend from one of our previous wards, Jessica Jones and her daughter Lauren who was diagnosed 4 years ago at age 9 showed up at the door.  They came will bags filled with stuff we would need, and had even ordered supplies for us from Amazon that were coming in the mail. I was so overwhelmed with gratitude that I broke into tears.  We didn't ask to be part of this 24 hour for the rest of our lives club, but we have come to realize this is our new reality, and are learning to look for the tender mercies the Lord has given us.  My job now is to teach Hinckley to care for herself and understand her body, so she can grow to take care of herself one day and live a long, healthy life.               






















Comments

Oliver Family said…
I bet this was tough to write. I'm glad you got it down while it was fresh in your mind though.