Dad Retires

The 3 older kids and I attended my dad's final concert of his career this month.  It was amazing, as everything my dad does always is!  Jace and Scott even made the trip to Cedar City to surprised him. We all went and celebrated at Denny's after the concert.
Katie organized this gift from his choir and family to give him during the final concert.  It is an inscribed piano lamp.
 He will be officially retiring June 1, 2013.  Dad invited me to his faculty dinner this month. They recognized him for his 34 years of service in seminary and institute. This was a letter signed by the first presidency and he will be receiving a lighted display clock.  It was almost like closing a chapter of our lives.  I grew up surrounded by seminary and Institute (at one point it was even attached to our house).  I would attend his classes as a little girl and sing and pass out treats.  I loved the seminary parties he would throw! I remember attending a few of his classes when I got older and being so impressed at his teaching ability and was and am so proud to be his daughter. I am so excited to have dad moving in to our new home with us.  I remember falling asleep as a little girl listening to him practicing the piano, and know music will follow him wherever he goes! 
I love you dad!

Comments

I love this post Amber! Your dad was so fun to play the piano for and an amazing teacher as well! Congratulations to him and to your family! Sounds like you are all starting some new adventures! How exciting! :)
The Mahi Family said…
This moment reminds me of how precious it was for me to find our group of friends somewhere in my junior year. It was realizing everyone else in the group would be graduating (except me, because I had missed Sophmore year seminary due to early morning volleyball practice, etc). I inquired how I could make up that year so I could graduate with my friends from seminary and was given a thick orange supplemental manual from your dad of the Doctorine and Covenants to read side by side with the scriptures. This is truly where I gained my testimony. I came to love the prophet Joseph Smith for the many trials he endured, seeing that he was human (and lost the 116 pages) and God forgiving him, knowing that he (or anyone) would not endure the trials he did if it was not true. So glad I was connected to you as it made getting what I needed to graduate so simple. It was a wonderful gift!