St. George Marathon

 Well, I have completed 2 marathons now and am officially hanging up the running shoes for a while. Here is a running recap for posterity's sake.


June 1st 2008: Began running with my friend Sulynn Coombs.
I ran 2 miles and thought I was going to die!

July 15th 2008: I ran my first 5K (3.1 miles in 33 minutes) The race was on a summer night 95 degrees outside.  Sulynn ran blind because one contact had fallen out, but she wouldn't stop. :)
July 24th 2008: I ran the Enterprise 10K (6.2 miles in 1 hour). I swear the entire last mile is up contrary to Sulynn's belief!

January 17th 2009: I ran the Saint George half Marathon! (2 hrs. 35 mins.) No the ambulance in the back is not for us!

Jan 27th 2009: I registered for the Ogden Marathon on May 16th. Here we go, ready or not!
May 16th 2009: I ran in and finished the Ogden Marathon. (5 hrs 53 min.) Yeah I did it! We endured to the end and are now bonded for life!
I took a year off and had baby Taylor. I was actually pregnant when I ran the marathon.

April 2010 began running again

July 24th 2010- ran the enterprise 10k (1 hour). It was fun to have Daniel Run it with me.
November 22, 2011- ran the Turkey Trot with the kids
April 20th- registered for the St, George Marathon. I guess I didn't learn my lesson the first time!





June 11th 2011- Finished the Utah valley half marathon (2 hrs. 30 min). Vicki was with us, we missed her after she got a fracture in her leg!
       


October 1, 2011- Finished the St. George Marathon! 
(5 hr. 29 min)
 Sulynn's parents were kind enough to let us stay the night in Enterprise.  This let us avoid having to be up at 3 a.m. to board buses by 4.  We got a ride to the Starting line arriving at 6:15.  Just enough time to drop our stuff and line up. The gun sounded at 6:45 but with 5712 runners (1688 didn't even show up for the race) we didn't get across the starting line until almost 7:00.
 I kept up with the 4:30 pace setter until Veyo and then stayed just ahead of the 5:00 pace setter until mile 19.  At this point I began to have some heat exhaustion and was just thankful to make it to the end. There were over 150 runners who didn't make it. I crossed the finish line with a time of 5 hr. 29 min! 30 minutes longer than I wanted to be, but I was still proud of myself for keeping it up through the 90 degree weather and finishing!
 As always I could not have done it without Sulynn.  I can do anything with her by my side! Her husband Trevor was amazing also, showing up at just the right moments along the course with water.
The Candy Lei was from my sweet visiting teacher Kari Dick
My sweet husband was also an angel.  He never once complained about the long training runs and tired wife. He always picks up where I leave off! Thanks Sweetie! 

Sulynn bought me this beautiful keepsake necklace and brought over this very hilarious poster (yes, running has made us chunky!). She knows me so well! Along with some very uplifting quotes to keep me encouraged!

Garrett's parents had some flowers sent.
 And friends dropped off treats and Ibuprofen (didn't get a picture before opening it :))

My mom and dad came over that night and ordered pizza. Just what I was craving after a long run.


Now...life's next adventure!

Comments

That was a perfect post! Mine was way too long! You are such an inspiration to me! You always keep me going when I want to quit! You are my hero and I am so glad that we have each other forever! Now we need to find something fun to do together that doesn't hurt as bad! Love ya!
So Awesome!!!!! I hope to one day follow in your footsteps! I'm proud of you!
Breckan said…
Hooray!! I'm so proud of you!
The Mahi Family said…
Congratulations! I am so impressed with your commitment! Way to go!
Amanda said…
You are incredible! I can't believe all you accomplished with your running and with all you do! GOOD JOB! I hope to maybe follow a little bit in your footsteps; you are definitely inspirational! Neat all the support you have from family and friends! Congratulations on everything; I can't wait to hear about the next adventure! :)