Changes

Since I have been asked so many times about my mom, I thought I would share the story...

In May my mom began seeing double and had numbness and tingling in her hands. Her blood platelets and white blood cell counts were also alarmingly irregular.  This led to many tests to determine if she had cancer.  By June she was in terrible pain, and had lost almost all use of her arms, hands and legs.  My dad had been dealing with this all on his own, and was so relieved when she was admitted to the hospital June 27th. She remained there until July 5th with my dad by her side. She endured, MRI's, spinal taps, countless blood draws and still no one could tell her what was wrong.  The best they could determine was that she had a virus that had done severe damage to her nerves.   July 5th they flew her to Salt Lake where they hoped doctors could find a diagnoses.  Nothing!  They finally admitted they had no idea what was wrong and could not do anything other than medicate her for the pain and sent her back to St. George for rehab.  She remained in rehab until July 31st, both her and my dad being taught how to care for her with her new disabilities. She eventually chopped her hair knowing she could not care for it anymore, and donated it to "locks of love."  Mom and dad are both home and adjusting to their new life.  My mom still has constant pain, and can't stand, walk, or use her arms and hands, but her eyesight has been improving. She will have "home help" come in a for a few months to assist with showers and such, but we hope with time she will get stronger and will be able to care for herself. My dad has really been a blessing to her and has cared for her since the beginning.  His work also provides great insurance and has been so good to accommodate him so he can be there for mom.  My mom shared a sweet experience with tears in her eyes.  She said that one of the nights in the hospital as my dad was brushing her hair and teeth and helping her get ready for bed, he said to her "If this is as bad as it gets we can do it."  She just thought "this is pretty bad, if he can handle this he can handle anything" she said she felt so reassured and grateful to have him by her side! Mom and dad you have both been so patient and strong, and if nothing else have been a marvelous example to your children. We love you!






Comments

Oh wow Amber. I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I do love though reading about your parents and how sweet they are with each other! That love will pull them through this. That is beautiful! She will be in my prayers.
Oh Amber! I just love your mom and your entire family! I pray every night that you and her will have some peace and that she will recover quickly! We love you guys!