The rodeo, the police, and one hysterical mom! WARNING: long post.

Last night was free kids night at the rodeo. Jaden even won a free adult ticket at school. Garrett stayed home with Grace, and I took Kimball, Jaden and Kody. We got there two hours early and got great seats. 40 minutes before the rodeo started, the kids ran over to get their free Rodeo picture. I could see them from my seat the entire time they were standing in line. 10 minutes later, I watched them begin to run back to our seats...only they never got there! I waited about 10 minutes thinking maybe they stopped for a snow cone, but they never came. I got up and walked towards the picture tent, and they were no where. I could see the entire stadium, and it wasn't like 3 kids would just disappear. I looked for about 10 more minutes completely baffled, and then saw a police officer. I gave him their description and the search began. 8 police officers and myself and we still couldn't find them for over 1/2 an hour. I was hysterical and crying, the rodeo had started and their was a huge crowd of people by this point. Finally, the police radioed and said they thought they were down on the field helping with the opening ceremonies!!!! They had been missing for about an hour! I ran down just as they were finishing up, the police were holding them for me. I guess the children that were supposed to hold the flags never showed, and the lady in charge grabbed my kids and asked for their help. Kimball said she was going to come tell me, but the lady said they needed to come right now. When I saw them running to come back to their seats they really turned off and went to the tunnels to get ready to help. I saw them and ran to give them a hug. They saw my face and burst into tears. We all stood their hugging and crying for a while and then I turned to the police officer and said. "Could you please find out who took my kids without my permission and make sure this never happens again," and we walked away. I just wanted to leave, along with Kimball who felt awful, but I didn't want to punish my kids for something that wasn't really their fault (although we did discuss the importance of always telling me where they are). We ended up only staying for about 1/2 an hour, the kids were too upset. Kimball says she is never going to a rodeo again. And...we never even got pictures because the lady grabbed them right when it was their turn. Not that I really want to remember this night!

Comments

Jolynn said…
I don't think anything comes close to the horror you feel when your children come up "MISSING". I'm sorry you had to go through that! They may now realize how important it is to "SAY NO", even to grownups. I'm glad you all made it home - together.
Wow, what a perfect chance for a home evening chat, maybe it'll mean more to them when they understand the danger they could've been it! Then again, maybe that would just upset them more! I'm so glad all is well, and that you are back with your kids safe and sound!
I am glad that everything turned out all right. That baby is going to have great lungs!!!! You really need to try at least one more rodeo, they are really great when you are not stressed. I am so sorry that it happened at all!
Oliver Family said…
I just want to know what lady thinks it's ok to take kids with her without letting them ask their parents for permission...crazy.
Wow! What a story. I'm sure that lady had great intentions but that is just scary. Poor Kimball. I can just see that conversation--Kimball was just wanting to do the right thing and that lady didn't let her. grrr. She seems like such a great kid and a perfect older sister! Do try the rodeo thing again though. ;) Usually it's pretty fun!
Brenda said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brenda said…
yep, that happened to me Friday! A lady approached Brianna and Sarah as they were in line to get the photo, only they came back to ask me and the lady followed them, at first I said no but I could tell the girls really wanted to and the lady introduced herself as in charge of the flag ceremony. I've been know to be over baring. So I conceded. My girls were gone for a very long time, even after they road around in the back of the sponsor trucks I thought they would be coming right back but they didn't because they were going to walk the American flags out as well. I found the girls just before I spotted an officer I used to work with. I was so scared and angry! The girls had a blast but I was not impressed with the lady not being totally upfront about how long she was keeping them and what exactly they were doing! I feel like the worst mom for letting them go with out knowing all the details... I'm so sorry you had the worst ordeal! Ya know I have to wonder if the other kids really didn't show up or if someone dropped the ball.... I'm so glad we both had a happy endings; however, hearing your story makes me want to go scream at that lady....lol
Christina said…
Wow, that is scarry! It amazes me that the lady thought that was okay. Poor kids, poor you. Sounds like you turned it into a learning experience!
I have been to the rodeo once. We didn't have any tramatic experiences but it was enough for me!
Amanda said…
Ahhh, how scary, I'm sorry you had to go through that! I hate that sick feeling when your kids disappear and they're no where to be found. (It's scary too b/c it can happen in an instant.) And, what was that lady thinking by just asking kids to help without a parents permission!!! Sorry it was such a bad night out!
Christin said…
We lost Lizzie at Luke's dance festival. I will never forget the sick feeling I had in my stomach wondering if someone had taken her. It's AWFUL. Glad everything turned out okay.

Christin
Hey Amber!! Where have you been?? Hope that everything is ok. I miss seeing updates of your cute family.